Enter and win
up to 24 pounds
of free FAB!
create a profile and register
Posted By: Joe Ames
Date: Wednesday, August 6, 2003 at 9:52 a.m.
PICKLED FISH IN WINE
1. Large (1 gallon ) jar with lid. One
2. Fish, raw, one inch pieces Approx. 3 - 4 pounds (1/2 gallon)
3. Pickling salt 5/8 cup
4. Vinegar, white 2 cups
5. Vinegar, white 1 1/2 quarts
6. Port wine, white 1 quart
7. Sugar, granulated 2 cups
8. Mixed pickling spice 1 Tablespoon
9. Onion, sweet, 1/4 inch slices Equal to amount (volume) of fish.
Mix items 3 and 4 in the jar until in solution.
Add fish and refrigerate for 6 days. Shake daily.
On the 7th day, drain fish, discard the brine and rinse the fish and the jar thoroughly with fresh water.
Prepare onions, slice 1/4 inch thick and separate into rings. Pack onions and fish into the jar in alternate layers.
Mix items 5, 6 and 7 until dissolved.
Add item 8 and pour mixture over the fish and onion slices.
Ready to eat in seven days.
Delicious ! Excellent with bony fish such as pickerel, pike, etc.
Joes Place - Food Preservation is maintained by Bill Ames with WebBBS 5.12.